Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Introduction

Hello Professor Tweed and classmates,

 My name is Natalie and this is my first semester at U.C.F., and I am very excited to be here! I transferred here after getting my A.A. degree. I am a very ambitious history major. My hope is to get into the dual bachelors degree/ masters degree program that the history department has and after I graduate go on to law school. My goal is to become a human rights attorney and help defend victims of rape in Africa or women and children who have been victims of human trafficking throughout the world. 

I consider myself a feminist. Feminism to me means that one supports the idea that women and men are equals, and supporting the progression of women in society (teaching girls from a young age that they are no better or worse then boys and that they are of value, equal pay for equal work regardless of gender, etc). Gender influences everyone's everyday life whether they realize it or not. There are misogynistic songs on the radio everyday, images of women being degraded on television, and inappropriate role models for young women. This semester I would like to learn more about women's studies then I do now. I am strongly considering minoring in it, and I am very interested in learning as much on the topic as I can.  

1 comment:

  1. Natalie,
    Welcome to the course. I applaud your ambition and am excited that you know so much about trafficking.
    Good luck with the semester.

    ReplyDelete